Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Give Me The Pen

Give me the pen.

“Lord, I don’t want to. This is MY agenda…I need the pen to fill in the details.”

Give me the pen.

“But I just got rolling with my blog again, and I have these ideas I want to try out in the studio, and swimsuit season is just a few months away…”

Relinquishing the offending writing implement is one of the most difficult tasks I face daily. When I give it up, things get rewritten in my agenda…and not the way I want them to. Cross out inspiring "Art Lesson" and write in "doctor’s appointment at 9:30". Erase “work out abs and arms” and rewrite “rest and recuperate from infection”. Delete “write new blog entry” and replace with “wash dirty sheets from sick child…again.” I had it all planned out, but apparently that was just the clue God needed to read through the lines to the deepest part of my heart. “My plans are not your plans,” my God tells me. Then in scripture I read Isaiah 55:

8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD.
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts…”

I know I have some memory issues (most everybody does these days) but how can I keep forgetting time and time again? Maybe, just maybe (after a week of antibiotic laden reminders) I will remember…it’s not my life. I have already given it to one who holds the ultimate agenda, the sketchbook of the time.  And when God fills in the blanks on my agenda pages, it is abundantly better than my ideas for any day. SO, here is the pen, Lord. Take it away and draw with in my life like only the artist of the universe can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment