Saturday, January 7, 2012

Banning Micro-Planning

Please tell me I’m not the only one sinking into a comfy couch to avoid putting away groceries tonight. Please let me know I’m not hopeless for choosing to step over the (dirty) laundry on the floor instead of put it in the wash. There must be others who planned out every detail of their day only to have that rug yanked out from beneath their feet and shaken vigorously. Case in point: today I micro-planned. And it bombed.

It’s time to stop. It’s over, minute-by-minute agendas. You’re done, project-planning-spirals-with-extra-tiny-boxes-for-detail-notes. I’m a recovering addict, so today's timeline agenda, which included everything from outdoor playtime with the dog to grocery shopping parameters, menu items and serving times, nap times, play dates with friends at the park, bringing soup to neighbors, and an oil change, was a pretty standard Saturday spread (I know, I know…I’m embarrassed right now as I type). Now there are a few things about micro-planning to consider:

1. You can always fit more things on the list than are physically possible, thus setting oneself up for failure to perform.

2. There are always things that could be streamlined and make time use more productive, thus, more efficient, therefore, more “successful.” But you never think of them until later.

3. Writing it down doesn’t mean it’s going to happen that way.

So today was really about the third part for me. The lesson learned is this: planning isn’t bad…it’s what you do when it all falls apart that matters. Whether it’s calling a tow truck because you can’t start your car and get it in for the oil change or having a baby sleep past their dedicated napping hours, flexibility isn’t just helpful…it is a necessity. SO, if you have found yourself sitting amidst the best planned budget, the neatest event timeline, or the perfect exercise plan, feeling so frustrated and exhausted you want to cry, take heart. You are not alone. I feel your pain, and so do MANY others. Perhaps this approach would help…

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” Philippians 4:6

Hmmm…can we consider the tendency to micro-plan should be nudged in a different direction? Just maybe I need to verbalize (or write or type) the plans…and then give them over to God.

Kind of like the handful of hours. Really, who likes to be given a gift, then be told how they must use it? I know I don’t and I can’t imagine God would appreciate it either. Philippians is a great book, because if one had even the slightest doubt (like “how will I possibly get everything done I need to without laying out every detail for the day?”) verse 4:19 then says,

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.

Ta-da!!! Presto!!! That was the part I was worried about…getting everything done I needed to! And God’s got it covered. The same God who dresses the flowers in splendor and feeds the sparrows has got my day covered. So, planners (myself included) rejoice! While the micro-plan may be banned, the gift of our time AND our plans continue to be a part of this living sacrifice. Plans given instead of loaned. This is my fragrant offering…and I pray it may be pleasing to God.

Ok, that was a lot of reflecting and it seems there is a pattern in my subject matter. Definitely need to be sensitive to that. We are clearly witnessing a work in progress. J Blessings on your abundant journey!
PS The part between Philippians 4:6 and 4:19 is pretty fabulous too, and I’m sure you’ll be encouraged if you check it out.

2 comments:

  1. Kristina, I love your blog! Thanks for sharing! :) Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you for your wonderful blogs! :-)

    ReplyDelete